In order to meet the requirements of the health and safety law it is necessary to have a competent person helping you. In order to be considered competent the person has to have qualities that make them suitable to work on your health and safety management. The qualities could include experience, training or knowledge of the laws and how to work within them. The level of competence required depends on how complex the safety and health issue you’re working on is.
If you are not a competent person yourself and you don’t have time to train you will need to find a suitable person. The first place to look is within your organisation. You may have bosses, directors or co-founders who have the right level of competence you require. You might also find that your managers or supervisors may also have certain experience of qualifications that make them suitable.
If you are not able to find a competent person within your organisation you will need to look for help. Health and safety consultants are able to provide a competent person service and they will be able to assist you where you need them. It’s important to contact and arrange the competent person survey quickly and in good time to ensure your company is following and complying with the health and safety law.
What Does the Competent Person Do?
There are all sorts of ways a competent person can be used within your business. The service is flexible to allow you to use only what you need, when you need it. With no contracts you can replace the person with a member of your own workforce once you have trained up an employee or take on a health and safety worker.
Some of the competent person services include:
- Reviewing your existing Health and Safety policy
- Designating the competent person on your documentation
- Written report including key issues
- Professional advice via email and telephone for all your health and safety enquiries
- Help with the CHAS registration
- Help with the CITB training grant
- Training analysis
- Tailored documents including policies and risk assessments
- Flexible visits for the production of review status
- Discounts on health and safety courses available throughout the year
- Scheduled meetings to suit you
- Tips on how to make the environment safe and reduce risks
- Health and Safety Consultant to perform safety inspections
You could be prosecuted if you are found to be lacking competent advice as stated in the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations. Learn more about our Competent Person Service by using our online form or call us on: 0800 1488 677.
This post has been filed in: Health and Safety Consultancy