Construction Health and Safety Consultancy and CDM Adviser Services

Sentencing for Landlord Who Failed to Check Gas Annually
Posted by David Cant on March 26, 2012

Carole McMillan, a Lancaster based landlord, has been sentenced this week after it was discovered that her tenants were living in a property that was not being checked annually for problems with the gas. By law all landlords must ensure an annual gas check is carried out by a Gas Safe registered professional. The purpose of the checks is to ensure the gas appliances in the property are safe to use and are not leaking deadly gases.

Lack of an Annual Gas Check Resulted in Investigation and Prosecution

By failing to have the annual gas check Ms McMillian was putting the lives of the family living in her property at risk. The family consisted of a couple and two very young children. A full investigation was started by the Health and Safety Executive in April 2010 after it was discovered that her property in Scalehill had not been inspected since February 2009.

Carole McMillian was prosecuted and admitted that her failure to have a gas check on the property was a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. As a result Ms McMillan was ordered to pay £2,250 in court costs and fined £750.

If you are a landlord, or are considering becoming one, it is vital that each year without fail your property that is rented out to tenants is subjected to a complete gas check. This is your legal duty and failing to comply with the law will result in prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive. You must make sure that the gas man or woman is registered on the Gas Safe register and a copy of the gas check findings must be given to your tenants as proof.

No Excuse for Putting Lives at Risk

Ms McMillan failed to follow the law and as a result the family renting the property could have been at risk from gas leaks, explosions, fire and the silent, scentless killer monoxide gas. There are approximately 20 fatalities caused by monoxide gas each year as a result of gas appliances being unfit for use. A gas check can detect any leaks and also highlight any problems that may need addressing.

Know Your Legal Duties

Gas checks are inexpensive and easy to arrange. There is no excuse to put lives at risk. Being a landlord comes with legal responsibilities and you should make yourself aware of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 if you are not already.

Health and Safety can be difficult to get your head around which is why if you are unsure of anything it is worth contacting a health and safety consultants to discuss your circumstances and concerns. There are many health and safety services available which include advice, audits, health and safety training and fire risk assessments.

Contact the health and safety consultants and speak to advisors who may be able to help suggest possible health and safety services that could be helpful for your professional circumstances. Call 0800 1488 677 today and find out more.


David Cant is a Chartered Safety and Health Practitioner extraordinaire. He has a wealth of Industry experience and is the MD of Veritas Consulting. David also Blogs about Health and Safety here Health and Safety Consultants

His aim is to flavour Health and Safety with integrity, served with a side of humour You can find David on - Twitter and Google also Linkedin

This post has been filed in: Health and Safety Policy, Health and Safety Regulations, Workplace Safety

Follow all of the latest Veritas Consulting news on our RSS feed

Twitter: Veritas_Tweets